Chairman, Cherokee County Board of Commissioners
Send Us An Email
L e a v i t t B. A h r e n s , J r. ( Buzz )
Commission Chairman, L.B. Ahrens, Jr. began his first term on the Cherokee County Board of Commissioners January 01, 2007. He was re-elected in Nov 2010 ‘unopposed’ and began a third term on January 01, 2015.
Chairman Ahrens sits on several community boards/organizations in the County, as well as in Metro Atlanta:
- Board Member: Cherokee County Water & Sewer Authority
- Board Member: Cherokee County Board of Health
- Board Member: Atlanta Regional Commission (ARC): Transportation & Air Quality Committee; Regional Transit Committee; Chair of Arts, Culture and Creative Industries Advisory Committee
- Board Member: Metro North Georgia Water Planning District
- Chairman, ACCG: Pension Board of Trustees
- Board Member: ACCG [Association County Commissioners Georgia] Board of Managers
Prior to his election, Mr. Ahrens was an executive with extensive background in the global marketplace providing P&L leadership, brand-building, and strategic direction within the consumer products industry. This included start-ups as well as large operating companies. During his 30-plus year career, he and his family lived in Brazil, Hong Kong, and Europe for about 15 years. Mr. Ahrens worked for such well-known organizations as:
- Senior Vice President International and corporate officer reporting to Chairman and CEO of Rubbermaid, Inc. Wooster, Ohio. Global Volume base grew 70%. Retired in April 1999, following merger with Newell Company. Well-known brands: Rubbermaid, Little Tikes, Graco, Century.
- VF Corporation - Greensboro, North Carolina. President of Europe Jeanswear, President of Asia-Pacific. Well-known apparel brands: LEE jeans, Wrangler, JanSport, Vanity Fair, The North Face, Nautica
Chairman Ahrens graduated from Yale University with a Bachelor of Arts in 1965. He is a graduate of the Thunderbird Graduate School of International Management, and The George Washington University in Washington, DC earning his Masters of Business Administration in International Business (MBA) in 1970, while on active duty in the Navy.
Chairman Ahrens served as an officer in the United States Navy (1966-1970), and was awarded the Joint Service Commendation Medal (JSCM).
Married to Joan for 50 years: four children, four grandchildren.
The Ahrens live on a small horse farm and are active in tennis, pickleball, horseback riding, and golf. The Chairman played collegiate and club level lacrosse for 37 years, and rugby for 15 years, including as a member of the Brazilian National team.
Update: Jan 31, 2015