Please note that vehicles new to the State must be registered within 30 days of the day you move to GA. Out of State tags expire 30 days after you move to GA, regardless to the date shown on the tag. Only two exceptions apply, non-resident military personnel and full-time college students.
Payment of title tax is required on most title transactions.
Individuals moving to Georgia have 30 calendar days after establishing their residency to register their vehicles. However, if your out-of-state registration is not current, you should come into a Cherokee County Tag Office as soon as possible.
Upon registering the vehicle you will pay the Title Ad Valorem Tax (TAVT), which is a one-time title tax of 7.00%. This amount is due upon titling any motor vehicle. For an estimate of this fee you can click here to be directed to the TAVT calculator on the Georgia Dept. of Revenue website.
New Georgia residents where vehicle is titled in personal name are required to pay 50% of the TAVT at the time the vehicle is initially registered; the remaining TAVT balance is due within one year. A Georgia title will not be printed until the remaining TAVT balance is paid in full.
- If you have a lienholder: The Georgia title will be mailed to the lienholder on file. A Georgia title will not be printed until the remaining TAVT balance is paid in full.
- If you do not have a lienholder: The Georgia title will be mailed to the registered owner at the address on file. A Georgia title will not be printed until the remaining TAVT balance is paid in full.
When your vehicle requires a Georgia title, you will be unable to register your vehicle and obtain a Georgia license plate (tag) without applying for a title at the time of registration.
The following is a list of items you will need to bring into a Cherokee County Tag Office.
- Original out-of-state title issued in your name. OR
- If you have moved into Georgia from another state and your lender or leasing company is holding your out-of-state title, you must complete and sign a Statement of Title Held by Lien Holder or Leasing Company ( Form T-17 ) and submit it with your original valid out-of-state registration certificate in lieu of your title. Please note : If you are coming from Missouri, Kentucky, Montana, Maryland, New York, Michigan, Oklahoma, Minnesota or Wyoming you must have the title to register.
- If the vehicle is leased, you will also need an original notarized power of attorney from the leasing company and the lease agreement (with the name and address of the leasing company).
- Title Application (MV-1) signed by all owners while at the tag office or an original notarized power of attorney ( Form T-8 ) for any owner who is not present.
- Valid, current registration from the former state, or purchase contract.
- Date the owner moved to Georgia.
- Current mileage.
- Current Georgia Emissions Certificate, if applicable.
- Valid Georgia driver's license or valid Georgia identification card for each owner.
- If any owner is not present, a legible photocopy of the valid Georgia driver’s license or valid Georgia identification card is required.
- If you need information on how to obtain a Georgia driver’s license or Georgia identification card, click here.
Once your vehicle is registered in Georgia, you are required to renew your vehicle's registration by the vehicle's renewal deadline each year, which is the first registered owner’s birthday.