Car Tags|Vehicle InsuranceBack to Car Tags
Insurance cards are not acceptable proof of insurance coverage for motor vehicle transactions at the Cherokee County Tag Office. Your insurance company is required to electronically transmit proof of insurance directly to the Georgia Department of Revenue (DOR) database.
Acceptable Proof of Insurance
When the Georgia registration system does not indicate valid proof of insurance, the following is acceptable:
* An original 30-day Insurance binder with an effective date that is less than 30 days. Faxed copies are accepted.
* The original declaration page from your existing auto insurance policy, if the vehicle purchase occurred within the last 30 days.
* A Georgia Fleet insurance card with the words "Georgia Fleet" on it.
* A Self-Insured insurance card and a Certificate of Self Insurance.
Lapse of Insurance, Suspensions and Waivers
A lapse in insurance occurs when a vehicle has not carried valid Georgia liability insurance coverage for a period of more than 10 days. Your insurance company reports the lapse to the Georgia Department of Revenue (DOR), and a notice of pending registration suspension is generated and mailed by the DOR. A lapse will result in $25 pending-suspension fee which must be paid within 30 days. If the $25 pending-suspension fee is not paid by the due date, the registration will be suspended by the DOR. To reinstate the registration, the vehicle must have valid Georgia insurance coverage, the $25 pending-suspension fee plus a $60 reinstatement fee must be paid, as well as any other registration fees, ad valorem taxes or penalties due. Any additional lapses in coverage and/or suspensions will result in additional fines and penalties including cancellation of the vehicle's registration. It is advised that you cancel your registration before you cancel your insurance policy to avoid any suspensions or fees. Taxes must be current and there must not be any outstanding fees. The registered owner of the vehicle may apply for a one-time waiver of the pending-suspension and/or the reinstatement fee if certain criteria are met. To apply for this waiver, the registered owner of the vehicle must complete Form MV-18J Application for Voluntary Registration Cancellation. The affidavit can only be submitted if the vehicle has not been driven for one of the following reasons:
* It was sold/transferred or the lease was terminated.
* It was registered in another state.
* It was wrecked, salvaged or junked.
* It was repossessed or stolen.
*It was not operated because it was inoperable, being stored or used seasonally.
* The sole, registered owner of the vehicle was on active military duty stationed outside of Georgia.
The dates entered on the affidavit must match the insurance coverage laspse dates.
If you feel you may qualify for a one-time waiver of the pending-suspension and/or the reinstatement fee, the
application for Voluntary Registration Cancellation must be filled out in its entirety and can be submitted, along
with a copy of your driver's license, in one of the following ways:
Cherokee County Tax Commissioner - 2780 Marietta Hwy, Canton, GA 30114
Fax completed form and drivers license to 678-493-6423.