Building Permits And Inspections|Commercial PermitsBack to Building Permits And Inspections
A commercial building permit is required in Cherokee County for several different types of projects;
-Construction of a new commercial building
-Additions, alterations or improvements to a commercial building: Removal or addition of any wall, repair or replacement of any required component of a fire/smoke-rated assembly, alteration of any required means of egress.
-Change of Occupancy/Tenant Change: if you plan improvements to a commercial building or plan to finish an existing building shell
-Mechanical (HVAC), electrical, plumbing, or fire system changes to commercial buildings
-Installation of new or changes to cellular antennas
Requirements for Commercial Permits
☐ Completed application through our CityView software portal
☐ Full Set of Plans submitted as one PDF - the system will hold up to 100MGB for submittals
☐ A site plan, survey, scaled drawing will be required under a separate submittal if this is a ground up project.
☐ Approval from the Environemental Health Department (If Septic Tank or Food Service).
☐ Water Department proof of meter and/or sewer fees. (If Applicable)
☐ Driver's License
☐ Business License
☐ State Contractor's License
☐ Authorized Permit Form (If Applicant is not the State License Holder)
☐ Payment of All Fees (Including Impact Fees If Applicable)
Cherokee County has partnered with CityView and BlueBeam Revu, an electronic plan and document system that facilitates reviews, communication and approval of construction plans. This will save residents, contractors and business owners' money and time while reducing the County's environmental footprint.
To submit plans please,
2) Download the CityView Digital Review User's Guide for assistance with creating an account and uploading information for review.
3) Once project has been uploaded you will receive a letter stating submittal received and reviews will start. Comments will be sent to you via email or you may visit the portal for updates (building review, fire & safety review, architectural review)
4) If the plans are rejected, the designer must make the required corrections to the plans and re-submit to CityView Portal
5) Once project has been approved by all reviewers, the project coordinator will issue an approval letter with instructions on how to obtain your permit, fees and any additional requirements. Feel free to contact your project coordinator at any time during the review process. Permits will only be issued to a licensed contractor registered with the State of Georgia.
Individuals designated by a company to obtain a permit on his/her behalf must submitt an Authorized Permit Agent Form (one original form per permit) along with a copy of the contractor's license, a copy of the contractor's company license and a copy of the driver's license of the authorized permit agent. For more information please visit the State Licensing Board for Residential and General Contractors at www.sos.ga.gov
6) You may now start construction. Throughout your project, you will need to complete different types of inspections depending on the scope of the project. Building inspectors ensure that new construction, changes, or repairs comply with local and national building codes and ordinances, zoning regulations, and permit specifications. Inspections are schedule online only, visit our Cityview Portal to schedule your inspections and see results, upload documents and pay fees.