I Need To...
Tax Payers
Court System
Contact Us


Click through to find:

  • A helpful arrangement of frequently used Cherokee County online resources
  • Commonly requested forms and documents for a variety of departments and agencies
  • Links to other sites and services often used by our residents


Click through to find:

  • Links to every department and agency under the jurisdiction of the Cherokee County Board of Commissioners
  • Contact information for departments with the name of the department/agency head
  • Links to common agencies not under the jurisdiction of the BOC, but which maintains close ties with us


Click through to find:

  • Information about and links to both the Tax Commissioner and Tax Assessor's Office. (They are very different organizations)
  • Quick links to both the Paying your Taxes online and the Real Estate Search applications.
  • Information about Homestead Exemptions
  • Information about Property Taxes, Millage Rates, and Car Tags


Click through to find:

  • A page listing every judicial and court system in Cherokee County with a brief introduction to what they cover
  • Quick links to Jury Duty Information, Traffic Citation Payments, Court Calendars, Deeds and Records Search, Passport Information, and a lot more


Click through to find:

  • Ways to contact the Cherokee County Board of Commissioners, Department and Agency Heads, and State Agencies and Offices
  • Directions to all County Facilities
  • Quick Link to Finding Your Commissioner
× Home I Need To... Departments Tax Payers Court System Contact Us

Development Service Center

News and Announcements
Online Options

Attention Customers:

In order to reduce the risk of exposure to the COVID-19 virus, the Cherokee County Development Services Center is encouraging all customers requesting service permits and commercial permits and those submitting site development plans or making

Posted: Mar-16-2020 | view story

Shannon Griffith
Development Service Center Manager
(770) 721-7810

Back to Development Service Center

Forms and Documents

Contact Department

Send Us An Email

Business Licenses|Commercial Occupation Tax Certificate

Back to Business Licenses



Any person engaged in any business, trade, profession, or occupation and located in unincorporated Cherokee County is required to register their business with the county and obtain a commercial occupation tax certificate. A separate certificate is required for each location/branch. If you going into a space that was previously a business, you will need to have a tenant occupancy inspection. This will be scheduled after you receive approval from planning and zoning and will require a $50.00 fee to be paid. 

Apply for a Commercial Occupation Tax Certificate
First time applicants must submit in person to:
Development Services Center - 1130 Bluffs Parkway - Canton, Georgia 30114
Hours of operation - 8am to 5pm - Monday through Friday (We do not accept applications after 4:30pm)


Occupation Tax Certificate Fees
Owner (s)
The owner, if sole proprietorship or paid by salary, commission or profit, and any paid family members working for the business, will be counted as a full-time employee.                                   
Full time employee
Per employee up to a maximum of 200 employees and a maximum fee of $6,000.00
Part time employee


Renew your license
Existing license holders will receive a courtesy notice of renewal by email, non-receipt of the renewal notice does not relieve the business owner from the responsibility of renewing the occupation tax certificate.
Renewals due January 1 of each year
Past due after January 31 
Beginning February 1st, a 10 percent penalty will be added to the total tax due.  If not paid, the business will be deemed closed and will be turned to the Marshal’s Office for collections.  A citation may be issued to include fines up to $1,000.00. 

Please fill out the occupation tax certificate renewal form and mail to: Development Service Center ( Make checks payable to Cherokee County ) or you can renew online!

Change address or name of business
An occupational tax certificate is not transferable. Any changes in ownership will require a new certificate. Changes of business locations will require review by our department. Businesses moving to commercial properties may be subject to inspections by the Fire Marshal and the Building Inspections Department. Please contact the Development Service Center immediately of any changes or if business has closed.
Specially licensed businesses
The following type of business activities are subject to special regulations, please visit our web page Development Service Center for more information at 770-721-7810 or email us at [email protected]
* Please note that Peddlers license issuance has moved to the Cherokee County Probate Court, for more information please call 678-493-6160*

Development Service Center
[email protected]


Cherokee County, Georgia "Where Metro Meets the Mountains" | © Cherokee County Board of Commissioners