I Need To...
Tax Payers
Court System
Contact Us


Click through to find:

  • A helpful arrangement of frequently used Cherokee County online resources
  • Commonly requested forms and documents for a variety of departments and agencies
  • Links to other sites and services often used by our residents


Click through to find:

  • Links to every department and agency under the jurisdiction of the Cherokee County Board of Commissioners
  • Contact information for departments with the name of the department/agency head
  • Links to common agencies not under the jurisdiction of the BOC, but which maintains close ties with us


Click through to find:

  • Information about and links to both the Tax Commissioner and Tax Assessor's Office. (They are very different organizations)
  • Quick links to both the Paying your Taxes online and the Real Estate Search applications.
  • Information about Homestead Exemptions
  • Information about Property Taxes, Millage Rates, and Car Tags


Click through to find:

  • A page listing every judicial and court system in Cherokee County with a brief introduction to what they cover
  • Quick links to Jury Duty Information, Traffic Citation Payments, Court Calendars, Deeds and Records Search, Passport Information, and a lot more


Click through to find:

  • Ways to contact the Cherokee County Board of Commissioners, Department and Agency Heads, and State Agencies and Offices
  • Directions to all County Facilities
  • Quick Link to Finding Your Commissioner
× Home I Need To... Departments Tax Payers Court System Contact Us

Magistrate Court

James Drane III
Chief Magistrate Judge

Back to Magistrate Court

Forms and Documents

Contact Department

Send Us An Email

Civil Suits|To Sue Or Not To Sue

Back to Civil Suits

The first step is deciding whether to sue. Remember, you must prove that the person or business you are suing owes you something. Do you have some proof of the debt such as a receipt, note, bill of sale, warranty or a witness? In deciding to sue, consider whether you have any evidence. In addition, in order for the Court to pass judgment in your case, you have to sue the correct entity (i.e., person, corporation). The person you sue is called the "Defendant". If the Defendant is an individual they must be a resident of the County. If you sue a sole proprietor of a business the sole proprietor must be a resident of the County. If the Defendant owns a business which is not incorporated (a sole proprietorship), and your claim is against the business, you may sue the person and the trade name he or she does business under in the county where the owner resides, regardless of where the business is located (i.e., John Doe dba ? doing business as - John's Grocery). You can usually find out the exact trade name as it is registered through the County Superior Court Clerk's office. You can personally go to the record room and look up this information. If the Defendant is a corporation, you must sue the corporation rather than someone who works for the corporation, and the business or the Registered Agent must be in the County. The Court or the Court Clerk cannot advise you on who to sue or if you have a good claim. A good place to check for a company's address for service is the website of the Georgia Secretary of State. You may also verify the corporate status of a business and obtain the registered agent's name and address for the corporation by contacting the corporation listing office of the Secretary of State (404) 656-2817.

Cherokee County, Georgia "Where Metro Meets the Mountains" | © Cherokee County Board of Commissioners