NOTE: WEAPONS CARRY LICENSES ARE BEING DONE BY APPOINTMENT. SEE BELOW. ALSO NOTE THAT, EFFECTIVE AUGUST 2, 2020, THE COST TO APPLY FOR A NEW WEAPONS CARRY LICENSE WILL INCREASE TO $78.25 DUE TO THE GBI INCREASING THE FEE TO PROCESS FINGERPRINT-BASED BACKGROUND CHECKS FROM $41.00 TO $43.25.
Due to COVID-19 pandemic guidelines and various judicial orders governing the operations of the courts, the Cherokee County Probate Court will offer its services with the following restrictions:
Estate, Guardianship/Conservatorship, and Mental Health Petitions:
Petitions will be accepted on an appointment basis. If you are looking to file a petition, you may call the Probate Court office at 678-493-6160 to schedule an appointment. This Court also accepts completed petitions by mail.
Marriage License Applications:
Marriage license applications will be accepted by appointment only. To reduce the number of parties appearing in this office, applicants who are not getting married in the next thirty (30) days should wait and apply for their license closer in time to their actual wedding date. To schedule a time to apply, obtain information on necessary documents, and download an application, go to https://www.cherokeega.com/Probate-Court/Apply-for-a-Marriage-License/
Weapons Carry License Applications:
While both new and renewal applications will be accepted between 8:30 a.m. and 4:10 p.m., these will be done by appointment only to ensure that proper health and sanitation precautions can be observed.
If you are interested in applying for a new license or seeking a renewal, go to htthttps://www.cherokeega.com/Probate-Court/How-to-apply-for-a-Weapons-Carry-License/ps://www.cherokeega.com/Probate-Court/How-to-apply-for-a-Weapons-Carry-License/. On this page, you can schedule your time to come in, find information on what is needed to apply, and print out an application so you can complete it prior to your arrival.
IMPORTANT: If you have a Weapons Carry License that expires on or before July 31, 2021, Governor Brian Kemp has signed an Executive Order that allows a 120-day renewal period from the expiration date on the license. If your Weapons Carry License expires AFTER July 31, you only have 30 days to renew. If your Weapons Carry License expires after July 31 and you are not able to schedule an appointment within the 30-day time frame, please contact this office for further assistance.
Instructions for All Patrons:
- If you have symptoms associated with COVID-19, such as a persistent cough or fever, or if you have been in contact with someone who has such symptoms, do not come to the Justice Center until such time as you are symptom-free or have observed the proper quarantine period.
- Your temperature will be checked on entering the Justice Center and you will not be allowed in the building if you have a fever.
- Have all applications and petitions completed and additional documentation in hand PRIOR TO arriving at the Justice Center. Almost all applications and petitions can be found on the Probate Court website.
- Wear a mask – both for your protection and others.
- Expect to be asked to use hand sanitizer, particularly if you are being fingerprinted.
- Only parties conducting business with the court should appear. All others must wait outside the Justice Center.
- Be patient and kind to the staff and each other.
- Call the Probate Court at (678) 493-6160 for appointments and questions.
Your cooperation during this extremely difficult time is appreciated.