Development Service Center | Cherokee County, GA - Where Metro Meets the Mountains
Building Permits And Inspections
Development Service Center

Types of manufactured homes

According to Georgia State Law, there are two types of mobile homes; manufactured or mobile
A manufactured home is built to the Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards (HUD Code) and displays a red certification label on the exterior of each transportable section. The HUD Code provides the design and construction requirements for the home, with some modifications permitted for on-site completion. Manufactured homes are built in the controlled environment of a manufacturing plant and are transported in one or more sections on a permanent chassis.

A mobile home is a factory-built dwelling built prior to June 15, 1976, to standards other than the HUD Code, (pre-HUD Code Home) that were acceptable under applicable state codes in effect at the time of construction or introduction of the home into the state.

Requirements in Cherokee County

  • All homes to be installed in Cherokee County must be manufactured homes
  • Mobile homes installed prior to August 25, 1991 are permitted to remain as legal non-conforming land uses. 
  • Single-wide manufactured homes are permitted only on AG (Agricultural) zoned property.
  • A building permit is required for the installation of a manufactured home.  Cherokee County will verify by review of the survey/plat of the property and on-site inspections that the home is installed in compliance with building codes and zoning regulations.
  • Properties on septic and or well, will require prior Environmental Health Department approvals

 Permitting Process

To begin the process for a Manufactured/Mobile Home Permit, please review this guide entirely. For additional questions and information, please call the Development Service Center at 770-721-7810 or email us at
The following items are required in order to obtain a permit;
  1. Septic permit –you must apply with the Office of Environmental Health prior to applying with us
  2. Approved address assigned by GIS Department (for new homes)
  3. Proof of ownership - you must present your bill of sale, title, MSO (manufacturer statement of origin) or invoice
  4. Proof of water service
  5. Permit fees and impact fees
  6. House location plan – This could be a survey of your property or a plat. You can obtain a copy (if available) at the office of Deeds and Records. Use the following checklist to ensure site plan is complete. Please see example below, you can draw on a copy of your property survey.
  1. Title
  2. Scale
  3. North Arrow
  4. Street Name
  5. Propery lines
  6. Rights of ways and easements
  7. Setbacks from all property lines
  8. Location and dimensions of all existing and proposed buildings
  9. Location of all decks, porches, retaining walls (in square feet)
  10. Driveway location
  11. Wetlands, streams or bodies of water
  12. Abutting streets and lanes
  13. Any buildings to be demolished
  14. If applicable; well location and/or septic tank and field line



Building Permit Fee  permit fee calculator
Certificate of Occupancy $50.00
Re-inspection fees $25.00 (if applicable)                                                                                               
Impact fees for all new homes $ 1,465.67(does not apply to change outs)           

We accept cash, check and credit cards (a 3% convenience fee will apply) All fees are due at time of application.


Inspections are required for manufactured/mobile homes. Please visit our CityView Portal and register to schedule your first inspection.
a.     Your first inspection is to make sure erosion and sediment control is in place. Septic area is identified, property lines are clearly marked
b.    Rough Inspection - When a manufactured home is placed on the site, the support system has been installed and tie-downs have been installed
c.     Final Inspection – Skirting is installed, front and rear porches are complete. Applicant has installed or hooked up to a well or public water system. Inspector will sign off for electrical, plumbing and gas piping.

It is the responsibility of the applicant to schedule inspections. A certificate of occupancy will not be issued without an approved final inspection.   Manufactured homes need to be installed by a Georgia licensed or registered installer in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions.

Additions and alterations to a manufactured/mobile home will require a permit

 Temporary manufactured home permit due to hardship

A manufactured home may be temporarily placed when the applicant can show extreme hardship. Cases of extreme hardship are defined by the Cherokee County Zoning Ordinance Article 7.7.1
·         Hardship due to loss of use of a home due to fire, flood, or other damage making it unfit or unsafe to occupy
·         Hardship due to extensive remodeling of a home or building making the structure unsuitable for occupancy
·         Hardship due to health related problems of a family relative which warrants proximity of that relative to provide daily care
All hardship applications will be temporary and effective for 12 months maximum. Extensions may be approved in 12 months increments subject to demonstration of continuing hardship           
All applications must be supported by affidavits alleging the facts. Medical affidavits must be signed by a physician stating the health problems and the necessity of care and monitoring. 
·         A manufactured home can also be placed on a site temporarily for six months for residential purposes while a site-built home is constructed. Extensions may be allowed. 

For Temporary or Hardship application process and information, please contact Cherokee County Zoning Administrator at 678-493-6101

Mobile Home Taxation

Manufactured/Mobile Homes are considered personal property and are taxable in the State of Georgia. If you are locating a manufactured home in Cherokee County, you must contact the Tax Assessor’s Office and register your home as soon as possible. Each year every manufactured/mobile home owner shall pay all taxes due to the Tax Commissioner’s Office on or before April 1st. All outstanding taxes must be paid, including penalties and interest before a location permit is issued. For more information and applications please contact the Tax Assessor’s Office at 678-493-6128.

Important Contact Information

Environmental Health                       770-479-0444 for septic/well information
Engineering Department                   678-493-6066 for new driveway permits
GIS/Mapping                                     678-493-6050 for obtaining new addresses
Planning & Land Use                        678-493-6101 for hardship cases information
Tax Assessor’s Office                        678-493-6128 for tax and registration information


Website Administration | County Email | Privacy | Terms and Conditions | ADA Compliance | Human Trafficking Notice | © Cherokee County Board of Commissioners | Powered By: Site Builder